Saturday, April 2, 2022

Fire and Water

 I re-read the last post I made since it's been so long since I wrote it.

I continue to work with the greatest daytime team and really enjoy what I do: housekeeping. A couple weeks ago, daytime shift was rewarded with having to work no weekends and getting to have all holidays off. This left the 2nd shift bitter, because that's "not what we signed up for" when we started (words of a second-shifter). I don't begrudge any of them that, per policy, they now receive $4 shift differential, and I'm quite sure they wouldn't have turned that away since it's not "what they signed up for." The difference for them is now they will have to work every fifth weekend as opposed to sixth, and they will have to work one holiday a year.

There are three second-shifters who have been shitty to me off and on since I started; one especially shitty, and one super-shit. The super-shit eye-rolled when I let them know when rooms that we hadn't had time to clean would need to be done on their shift; apparently she felt day-shift was not doing their job. Time for room-cleaning is built into each of 2nd shifts' schedules every day. At shift change I dealt with the silent treatment and passive-aggression, and I tried to ignore that shit.

After the latest announcement about day-shift's new policy, I have been the person they are throwing shit at. I was cornered by chief shit yesterday and asked if I was their "representative." I didn't understand what she was getting at at first. She asked if I was supposed to go to meetings. I agreed that I had a meeting I was supposed to go to mid-April; I was asked if I would by my supervisor. Told super-shit to talk to the supervisor. More eye-rolling ensued and I was immediately taken out of the conversation by the two higher shits as though I wasn't there trying to communicate with them. I left the office and, no doubt, I was pissed. I had to go back in because my purse and keys were there, of fucking course.

I was not willing to let this go without trying to have a direct conversation, because this felt a whole lot like the bullying I took at the last job because I was trying to go along to get along.

Long story short, I spoke my piece, with lots of back-tracking and bullshit by the chief shit, who kept changing her tactic by spouting various stupid reasons that meant nothing, and when I was done trying to reason with that shit, I turned to go. Thennnnn...the ever popular passive-aggressive gem: "Fine, I'll never ask another question ever." At my turned back. I snorted and told the shit to fuck off.

I texted the two people who are directly above me in the hierarchy of things and told 'em.

Both people have seen the bullshit, some witnessed directly. But, you know, this is a hospital. If I get fired for telling an asshole co-worker to fuck off, I'll be unhappy. But I do not, and will not, feel bad for telling a shit co-worker to fuck off. I'm far overdue to stop allowing people to play mind-fuck when I am involved. I'm nearly 50 years old.

I feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment