Tuesday, March 5, 2013

With Friends Like These...

Hmm. Just got a text message from someone who was a close friend of mine quite a few years ago. She wanted my husband's cell number because she has a question for him.

It's true she was friends with the hubby before I ever knew her. But they haven't been close friends longer than I haven't been close to her.

There are no trust issues for me regarding my husband, so I told him she was asking for his number and asked him if he wanted me to give it to her. He made a snorty noise and sighed, then said he could imagine what she wants.

See, a good pal of hubby's recently (like in the last couple of weeks) just broke up with his girlfriend of more than five years. Part of why I am not close to this friend anymore is that she had expressed a desire to interfere with hubby's friend's relationship, and I liked and respected his girlfriend at that point more than I liked and respected my former friend. Hubby figures this woman heard about the breaking-up and wants to step in and "comfort" his friend.

Niiice. And I can't imagine texting a friend, close or former, and just asking for her husband's phone number. This kind of hot mess used to be my best pal. But, I hadn't got the memo on narcissism then, either.

1 comment:

  1. Mon Dieu, It takes what it takes, Bess.
    These kinds of "Let's keep the Drama Going" are those to be avoided. You absolutely got that memo. How well we know. But what about DH's? They're "babes in the (N)bushes. "...she has expressed a desire to interfere with hubby's "friendship" which is all I need to know.
    Yk, often what appears to "be" isn't. And he'll walk right into this with all his niavete.The sad part? We can talk ourselves to death but it won't matter. IMO, let him get caught up in the Drama. Don't *ever* say something along the lines of, "I told ya so."
    They just gotta experience this shit and get burned a time or two. My sense is, "Experience trumps words any day."
    And back away from the drama while he becomes involved with it.
    IMO, let him snort and respond. You know (as I do) what the outcome will be. And it's not as if we won't pick up the pieces-of course we will. To an *extent.* In the meantime, we'll let them "marinate" in their "choices."
    Just my take, FWIW.
    TW

    ReplyDelete